From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: i486
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 10:24:58
1 On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 22:53:02 +0000, David W Noon wrote:
2
3 > >Apparently it's not quite a full i686. The research I did at the time
4 > >indicated that using anything higher than i486 was asking for
5 > >problems.
6 >
7 > I am a little surprised by that. I ran a couple of K6-3 boxes for some
8 > few years using i586. As near as I could tell, those processors only
9 > lacked CMOV instructions when compared with i686. I find it hard to
10 > envisage the Geode lacking any i586 feature, given that it has MMX
11 > instructions, CMOV instructions, the CMPXCHG8B instruction and a TSC
12 > register -- all of those are way beyond i486.
13
14 AFAIR is does implement the full i586 set, but some of it badly, so i486
15 gives better performance... but don't ask me to do an emerge -e world on
16 that box to check it out b:(
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 Never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself.