From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mplayer-1.0_rc2_p28058-r1 & USE dvdnav
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 22:07:50
1 On 22 Dec 2008, at 17:51, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> I would prefer it if Portage handled this without USE flag masking
4 >> being necessary. If the required package is masked, or needs some
5 >> other keyword, then IMO `emerge -p mplayer` should simply give an
6 >> "unable to fulfil this USE - packages may be masked or keyworded"
7 >> error. IMO `emerge mplayer` should simply install the package without
8 >> fulfilling the USE. But clearly there are reasons why this is
9 >> impractical.
10 >
11 > ...
12 > The machine will do what the admin said it must do. It will do no
13 > more and no
14 > less.
15 >
16 > An active USE means that the admin wants packages built with that
17 > support. The
18 > admin's wishes are very explicit in this regard, there is nothing
19 > implied
20 > about it. So if the USE cannot be fulfilled, the only appropriate
21 > answer
22 > is "I'm sorry, I cannot do that" and end with an error code.
25 But the masking tells Portage to ignore what the admin says, anyway.
26 So what's the difference?
27
28 Stroller.