From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: francesco.talamona@××××.eu
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Can't find b43 in kernel config
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 18:15:23
1 On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Francesco Talamona
2 <francesco.talamona@××××.eu> wrote:
3 <SNIP>
4 >> What is 'b43'?
8 >> When I have that problem I typically start with
12 >> cat /usr/src/.config | grep b43
16 >> which returns nothing implying to me that b43 doesn't exist at all.
20 >> - Mark
21 >
22 > Mark this isn't a good test. It only says that your config doesn't contain
23 > references to b43.
24 >
25 > If you do "make menuconfig" and then search for b43 (type slash to reach the
26 > search functionality) many entries will show up: I count 23 hits in
27 > 2.6.39-gentoo-r1 kernel.
28 >
29 > Grant: you say that the requirements are satisfied, yet I see "MAC80211
30 > [=n]", could be it? Same way as above to see where the option you lack can
31 > be activated
32 >
33 > HTH
34 >
35 > Francesco
38 Thanks Francesco. I didn't know that the config would eliminate
39 options. My experience in the past had been that it would be in the
40 config but commented out and saying 'not set'.
41
42 Good to know this if I have a problem like this again in the future.
43
44 Cheers,
45 Mark