From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why bash script, that works in "Debian", does not work on "Gentoo" install CD?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 18:16:02
1 On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 1:24 AM, Ста Деюс <sthu.deus@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > >> Why bash script (the install script), that works in "Debian", does
4 > >> not
5 > >> work on "Gentoo" install CD, giving me syntax errors (basically
6 > >> related to '(', ')' and ''')? In the script is the interpreter line
7 > >>
8 > >> #!/bin/bash
9 >
10 > > You say that line appears in both scripts, but is it the first line?
11 > > Unaccompanied and not preceded by anything?
12 >
13 > Yes, it is just a copy from "Debian".
14 >
15 > >> PS Why no semi/full -automatic install script/package in "Gentoo"?
16 >
17 > > It doesn't work that way. Gentoo is all about choice, and that
18 > > includes
19 > > choice of what is installed, and where and when. You have to make
20 > > those
21 > > choices. Even choosing what sort of system is installed (multi-lib,
22 > > hardened, synchronised via git or rsync, ...). All in the name of
23 > > flexibility and doing one's own thing.
24 >
25 > All those choices could be handled while auto install process -- just
26 > as other distro-s do, only with that exception, that the chosen
27 > packages are compiled first and only then get installed. At least, the
28 > "base" profile (just working kernel, package manager, network) would
29 > fit to get automatically installed "Gentoo" system leaving all the
30 > spectrum of choices behind installation process. -- I do not think it
31 > is wise to spend hours just to configure system before compilation
32 > process itself, reading all the time manual, even let be the
33 > truncated page of that manual.
36 Gotta be honest here. I really don't think Gentoo is for you.
37
38 If you don't understand why the exponential amount of work that it takes to
39 be able to support each additional choice that Gentoo does is hard to
40 codify into a single automated installer, I'm just going to say that this
41 is going to be a hard point to get across.
45 > Computers are all about automation, and
46 > trivial process regarding its working should be automated. The best
47 > approach would be checklists of checklists
50 Let's just say that someone has to code and test all of the automated
51 behavior behind every combination of checklist across every combination of
52 package, and he's going to have a very thankless job, given that simply
53 getting one combination of packages through a basic checklist might take an
54 entire day if the compiler gods are kind.
57 > -- similar to kernel's
58 > configuration, that once chosen, gets compiling, installing -- all
59 > automatically. There even sets like all is included -- to bother not
60 > for the unconcerned.
61 >
62 > But something tells me the reason of absence of the installer are
63 > much deeper.
64 >
65 > Sthu.
71 This email is: [ ] actionable [ ] fyi [ ] social
72 Response needed: [ ] yes [ ] up to you [ ] no
73 Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [ ] soon [ ] none