From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge all but...
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 18:09:26
1 On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 11:40:56 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > I mentioned this on -dev once when this topic came up. Thing is,
4 > portage is not the only package manager being used. Personally I think
5 > portage should be the official package manager and if you chose to use
6 > something else, you should know what not to do to the system.
7
8 That's restrictive and un-Gentoo-like. The official package manager is
9 anything that follows the EAPI specs.
10
11 > Portage
12 > requires python but I think one of the other package managers uses C or
13 > something. Remove C on my rig, no big deal as far as being able to
14 > boot and re-emerge a package. Do it on a system with some other
15 > package manager and you are in a mess. Point being, it's sort of hard
16 > for them to list them since it depends on what package manager you are
17 > using.
18
19 That's a slightly different issue. No, portage isn't in @system directly,
20 but it is part of a list of package managers, one of which must be
21 installed, and Python is a dependency of that, so a warning would be
22 reasonable if you were using portage to do the unmerging. However, emerge
23 -C does warn against its use these days, and you shouldn't really use it
24 on anything that is not in @world.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 TEXAS VIRUS: Makes sure that it's bigger than any other file.