From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] How to be a penguin.
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 06:03:06
1 On 31/05/2016 02:32, Alan Grimes wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 >> Do you really want a answer to that? Seriously? You asked so I guess
4 >> you do. Here it is. Yes! lol The way you do things, and continue to
5 >> do things, even after having several VERY experienced users tell you
6 >> that the way you are doing things is wrong pretty much says it all. If
7 >> I post that I was doing something and getting a bad result and someone
8 >> such as Neil and/or Alan McKinnon tells me I am doing it wrong, you can
9 >> bet your last dollar that I am about to change how I do things. Why, if
10 >> either or both of them tell me I am doing something wrong, I'm doing it
11 >> wrong. If I continue to do things the same way, well, that would be my
12 >> fault not members of this list or emerge/portage. So far, I don't
13 >> recall seeing a single post that supports how your script is set up.
14 >> Not one, except you of course.
15 >
16 > This is linux, not Windows 10.
17 >
18 > The key difference is that I get to decide how I want my computer to
19 > run. =|
20 >
21 > What I am saying is that recent changes have broken a usage pattern that I was quite content with for more than a decade. =\
24 So update your usage pattern. The world moved on.
27 >> Here's a idea. Since YOU are the only one having this problem, why
28 >> don't YOU change what you are doing to something that actually works?
29 >> What you are doing doesn't work. Try something else. Funny how those
30 >> "stupid" checks work for everyone else.
31 >
32 > I'm at 193/250 right now so therefore all discussion of changing my
33 > procedures is tabled until the next time I have troubles (next month...)
34 >
35 >>>>>
36 > I mentioned this before. If you keep posting but then refuse to accept
37 > help, people will start ignoring or blocking your messages. Based on
38 > the posts that I see, I suspect some may have already. At some point,
39 > even I will. I've only ever blocked one other person on this list. I
40 > can see that doubling at some point because you don't come here for help
41 > or accept any when it is given. You just come here to gripe about
42 > things not working like you want when it is your method that is broken.
43 > <<<<
46 > May I remind you that most modern software has a "check for updates" button that is fully automated...
47
48 Yes, and ...? how is this relevant
51 > May I also point out that the stated gentoo update process, of "emerge sync ; emerge --update world rarely actually works or does not have the intended effect without a several dozen qualifiers. I point out here that the qualifiers I use were selected from the ones provided by portage.
52
53 Not true. My emerges usually do work. You are going to have to defend
54 your statement now of how emerge world rarely works.
55
56 You can't just claim it, you have to prove it. With numbers. And records
57
58 > Now, the question is what qualifiers to use... Regardless of what qualifiers you use you will have errors. So therefore you are forced to do something to recover from those errors. I have found that it never hurts to blindly skip the current package and try the next, so that's exactly what I do.
59
60 Now you are just ranting with more unsubstantiated claims of stuff
61 >
62 > When I saw that my updates always had the same sequence of commands, I wrote the first versions of my scripts. Since then, I have edited, and enhanced my scripts to either take advantage of good new features such as the built-in keep-going command, or to disable features that features, that even once, caused me problems, then I do so. If disabling a feature, even once, solves a problem I will never attempt to use that feature again.
63
64 Sounds like you once hit on a happy coincidence and now try rely on it.
65 The world moved on. The process is way more complicated
66 >
67 > So I come here looking for something else to disable because, obviously, the problem is that it is checking something that it would be better off not checking because the problem it seems to think will happen either won't happen or will be so trivial that it won't have any lasting effects on the system. The costs in frustration for the check and trying to satisfy the check being many orders of magnitude greater than whatever emerge was doing before the incident involving water skis, a ramp, and the proverbial SHARK.
68
69 No, you come here to rant, insult portage, whinge and complain.
70 Your behaviour shows that.
71
72 Dude, you seriously need to get this one now:
73
74 Things in portage do not work the way you think they work.
75 Portage is a tool. If you are going to use it you must use it in the way
76 it was designed to be used. Otherwise you get mistakes, much like trying
77 to remove a sump cover with an axe
78 >
79 > Instead I'm told that I'm an idiot and should switch to some unspicified but vastly more laborious process involving manually second-guessing the build order or some such nonsense... =\
80
81 If you persist in insulting people who try to assist you, then yes you
82 are going to be told you are an idiot, or worse
83
84 Every post of yours here turns out to be a whinge-fest of Alan Grimes
85 complaining how portage doesn't work the way stuff worked 30 years ago.
86
87 Get over it pal. It's not like that.
88 Or move onto a distro that does work how you want it to.
92 Alan McKinnon
93 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com