From: Alan Grimes <alonzotg@×××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] kinda tight on time, what versions are good?
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 21:12:50
1 Kinda short on time to F with my system rn...
2
3 Is GCC 10.2 any good or should I stay on 9.3?
4
5 A few months ago I was in a squeeze play between the sound drivers and
6 the video drivers on kernel 5.6.???? I even RMA'd my motherboard though
7 there is a chance that it was only insability in the sound drivers that
8 was the root problem, the thing is really tricky to configure, you need
9 to make sure you have alsamixer pointed to the actual device and not the
10 pulseaudio top... Symptom = wasn't setting volume on left channel audio
11 out, couldn't find a way to fix it with alsamixer at the time.
12
13 What is the latest kernel you can use with the current nvidia-drivers?
14 If I can bump my kernel version to something on a stable branch just
15 below that version, I'd like to version freeze for 6-8 months....
16
17 The kernel penguins like removing API calls that Nvidia drivers use
18 because they don't like binary drivers. They had scored a pretty serious
19 hit with version 5.7, so I'm not sure if nvidia was able to find a
20 workaround.
23 The vaccine is a LIE.
24 #TheHonklerIsReal
25