From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: installation problems
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2020 13:35:19
1 On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 9:23 AM Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > I always use SystemRescueCD to install a new Gentoo system. Never a single
4 > problem with it, other than having to set up my own working conditions every
5 > time.
8 Personally I tend to use Ubuntu - mainly because it just gives you a
9 nice desktop experience and just works. I can easily fire up a full
10 browser, open all the xterms I want, and so on. I really don't care
11 about its pros/cons long-term because it is just a livecd - the
12 installed OS ends up the same no matter what distro you use to boot
13 off of. It all runs in a chroot so the only OS component that really
14 impacts the install is the kernel.
15
16 But there are lots of choices. I don't really have a problem with
17 Gentoo having its own minimal iso, but I do encourage people to use
18 something more functional, simply because there are already a ton of
19 good livecds out there, and Gentoo doesn't really need to invent its
20 own. Since you only use the livecd image for an hour in the lifetime
21 of the entire system, it has pretty minimal impact on the overall
22 experience, even if it is the first thing you see. So, why not take
23 advantage of the polish other distros have put into theirs?
26 Rich