From: Bob Young <BYoung@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] gcc-4.1.1
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 14:13:12
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Hans-Werner Hilse [mailto:hilse@×××.de]
3 > Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 6:32 AM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc-4.1.1
6 >
7 > You haven't understood a word from the posting you're replying to.
8 >
9 > > It does have to be emerged twice in order for it to be built with
10 > > itself, anybody who thinks otherwise doesn't understand the basic
11 > > principles of compiling and linking.
12 >
13 > Try to understand what you are replying to. GCC's internal build logic
14 > does the staging. That's got nothing to do with what your system calls
15 > when you issue "gcc", and only at that point the slotting of GCC
16 > versions comes into play.
19 Show me some documentation for this "staging" you refer to. When you "emerge
20 gcc" it is built with the current compiler, if the current compiler is gcc
21 3.4.6, and you emerge gcc 4.1.1, that means that while gcc 4.1.1 is being
22 emerged it is built with gcc 3.4.6. gcc 4.1.1 can't be built with 4.1.1
23 because it hasn't been emerged yet, and as far as the system knows it
24 doesn't actually exist yet. Can you clearly and concisely explain to me how
25 something that is in the process of being emerged can be used to emerge
26 itself? Doesn't make sense.
27
28 Regards,
29 Bob Young