From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Errors in nonexistent partitions
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 09:34:43
1 On Monday, 14 September 2020 09:38:10 BST antlists wrote:
2 > On 14/09/2020 08:48, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > Just before this started, I booted Win-10 on /dev/sdb and ran its update
4 > > process. I don't use it for anything at the moment, just keeping it up to
5 > > date in case I ever do. I do this most weeks, but is it possible that
6 > > Win-10 tampered in some way that it hasn't before? I'm seeing these
7 > > errors on/dev/ sda (which does have an NTFS partition) and /dev/nvme0n1
8 > > (which does not), but not on /dev/sdb.
9 >
10 > I know Windows has hidden partitions and things, but it shouldn't be
11 > tampering with the partition table. What sector does sda1 start on? It
12 > should be something like 2048. I don't play with that enough to really
13 > know what's going on, but if that number is single digits then that
14 > could be the problem ...
15
16 Well, I bit the bullet and started again with a new GPT partition table. I
17 made the partitions the same sizes as before, but this time when I ran
18 mkfs.ext4 on them, I wasn't told that a file system already existed with the
19 same name. Something had evidently been changed.
20
21 Then followed three days of trying to get the system to boot. Even though the
22 root and /boot partitions were exactly as before and I gave the same commands
23 to efibootmgr and bootctl, either the BIOS couldn't find a kernel, or it did but
24 then the kernel couldn't find a file system.
25
26 In the end I pointed efibootmgr at the systemd directory and it then started.
27 That was definitely a new arrangement.
28
29 The Gentoo wiki could do with some expert revision; it doesn't explain any of
30 the structure, so when its commands don't return the expected result, I'm left
31 with guesswork. For example, I've only recently realised that bootctl is
32 needed if you want a boot menu of kernels (not counting grub-2, which I would
33 only install under duress).
34
35 At the end of all this, I'm left wondering what happened to the original
36 system. (Cosmic-ray strike?) I'm not convinced that Win-10 would go round
37 seeding something into all those partitions that could exist but don't, on the
38 disks it wasn't installed on. And why did mkfs not recognise the old file
39 systems?
40
41 I don't like mysteries.
44 Regards,