From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] preparing for profile switch -- major problem
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2017 13:18:47
1 On 10/12/2017 14:54, John Covici wrote:
2 > On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 07:36:19 -0500,
3 > Kent Fredric wrote:
4 >>
5 >> [1 <text/plain; US-ASCII (quoted-printable)>]
6 >> On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 02:17:09 -0500
7 >> John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
8 >>
9 >>> OK, thanks, I think I will try that.
10 >>
11 >> The problem you're facing is that you masked dev-lang/perl, but not any
12 >> virtual/perl-* or perl-core/-* to compensate.
13 >>
14 >> These 3 components work in concert like a single component, as a sort
15 >> of bodge to compensate for the fact portage has no working "provides" feature,
16 >> and to compensate for the dependency-system missmatch between how
17 >> Gentoo works and how CPAN works.
18 >>
19 >> Theres' no easy way of fixing this atm, but the short of it is if you're using
20 >> an ~arch dev-lang/perl, you should be using an ~arch virtual/perl-*,
21 >> and if you're using an "arch" dev-lang/perl, you should be using only
22 >> "arch" versions of virtual/perl-*
23 >>
24 >> Once you do this, portage may still scream at you, because portage is
25 >> very much optimised for upgrading, and it tends to think downgrading is
26 >> an error.
27 >>
28 >> So once you get all your masks/keyword changes in place, you should do:
29 >>
30 >> emerge -C virtual/perl-*
31 >> emerge -C perl-core/*
32 >>
33 >> (or something to that effect)
34 >>
35 >> This looks scary, but generally isn't, because you're not actually removing
36 >> anything with this, just juggling a few balls and making only older
37 >> versions of certain things available ( as they're alls shipped in
38 >> dev-lang/perl )
39 >>
40 >> And then after you do this, portage is more likely to be persuadable
41 >> into doing the right thing.
42 >>
43 >> You can additionally abuse my tool, gentoo-perl-helpers for doing some of this,
44 >> and some of the steps I've described are automated because they're just
45 >> that safe and useful.
46 >>
47 >> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Perl#app-admin.2Fgentoo-perl-helpers
50 >> After putting the right masks in place, do:
51 >>
52 >> gentoo-perl gen-upgrade-sets 5.26 5.24
53 >>
54 >> And if you're really lucky, the sets it generates will work the first time :)
55 >>
56 >> ( I actually tested this scenario when developing it, but its still an
57 >> undocumented use on purpose )
58 >>
59 >> GLHF.
60 >
61 > I went ahead and did the upgrade which worked, but the emerge from
62 > perl-cleaner --all did not. I am using ~amd64 and have done so for
63 > years, so I don't think I need to maks off anything. I seem now to be
64 > stuck with dev-python/setuptools, so I am now trying to figure out why
65 > I can't emerge that -- it was triggered by the perl-cleaner --all .
68 How recent is your tree?
69
70 I had issues with setuptools doing the first run through the 17.0
71 upgrade. I never looked into it too closely, I used --keep-going, but
72 setuptools seemed to think I had a useable python-3.4
73
74 After the first run through emerge -e world, nuking-python-3.4 and
75 re-syncing, setuptols worked normally again.
76
77 YMMV of course where you are
78 --
79 Alan McKinnon