From: Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dual boot questions
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 09:04:02
1 Am Sonntag 17 Juni 2007 18:49 schrieb Mark Knecht:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I have a long running Windows machine that I had previously
4 > attempted to make duel boot using the Windows boot loader mostly as an
5 > experiment. It's not my first dual boot. I've got 4 others that use
6 > grub and they all work fine. This machine, however, never did boot
7 > Linux and as it wasn't a high priority I just let it go and ran
8 > Windows on it as needed. However I now need to get it running and want
9 > to switch it over to grub as I doubt I'll be running windows on it
10 > very much in the future so I have a few questions.
11 >
12 > The first problem I ran into on this machine was that immediately
13 > after finds my kernel and starts booting I get maybe 1 or 2 lines that
14 > are good but then the screen becomes unreadable. The text characters
15 > are highly garbled and there are columns of dots all over the screen.
16 > The card is an NVidia NV18 GeForce4 MX 400.
17 >
18 > Is there possibly a boot line option to get the system to write
19 > these characters cleanly?
20 >
21 > The second problem is that after the boot gets started I get a
22 > kernel panic. As background the disk layout of this machine, as viewed
23 > from within Linux booted from an install CD, looks roughly like this:
24 >
25 > /dev/hde1 * Blocks=1-3824 ID=7 HPFS/NTFS
26 > /dev/hde2 Blocks=3825-19457 ID=5 Extended
27 > /dev/hde5 Blocks=3825-3837 ID=83 Linux
28 > /dev/hde6 Blocks=3838-4020 ID=83 Linux
29 > /dev/hde7 Blocks=4021-7668 ID=83 Linux
30 > /dev/hde8 Blocks=7669-10218 ID=7 HPFS/NTFS
31 >
32 > The last NTSF partition is just data.
33 >
34 > The Linux partitions should be boot, swap and the system, in that
35 > order. I wanted to double check that I could load grub and stop using
36 > the Windows boot loader by using something like these commands:
39 If /dev/hde6 is your swap, shouldn't it have the ID 82 (Linux swap / Solaris)?