From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo healthy?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 06:33:49
1 On 20 December 2006 03:58, Grant wrote:
2
3 > I think other posters to this thread may be trying to compile a
4 > similar set of statistics, but I'll just come out and say it. Can we
5 > compare historical data on the number of Gentoo users and the rate of
6 > Gentoo maintenance and growth? Conceptually, I would think a 2-axis
7 > chart along with three plot-lines would be appropriate. Which data
8 > points should be plotted? We need something to represent users,
9 > maintenance, and growth.
10
11 As others have said, it is next to impossible to determine the number of users
12 to any degree of accuracy. Commercial distros can at least tell how many sets
13 of CDs/DVDs they sell, although that doesn't give them the exact number of
14 users either. It is even more difficult for distros like Gentoo where
15 everyone can download the stuff.
16
17 The Polytechnic of Namibia maintains an unofficial Gentoo mirror. So everyone
18 around here that can access their network uses their mirror. Those downloads
19 are invisible for Gentoo. I maintain one portage tree and install all my
20 customers' boxes from it. These installations are even less visible to
21 Gentoo.
22
23 I can't think of any method to get real numbers.
24
25 Uwe
28 A fast and easy generator of fractals for KDE:
29 http://www.SysEx.com.na/iwy-1.0.tar.bz2
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list