From: Lubos Kolouch <lubos.kolouch@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Packet sniffing broken recently?
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 07:12:15
1 walt, Wed, 28 Dec 2011 17:01:59 -0800:
2
3 > Sometime in the last month or so (when I wasn't looking) my ~x86 and
4 > ~amd64 machines quit working when I try to run wireshark or tcpdump,
5 > etc, but I don't know exactly when or why. (My amd64 machine still
6 > sniffs packets normally.)
7 >
8 > I get this same error from any packet sniffing app:
9 >
10 > Can't open netlink socket 93:Protocol not supported
11 >
12 > Strace shows that this is the failing system call:
13 >
14 > socket(PF_NETLINK, SOCK_RAW, 12) = -1 EPROTONOSUPPORT (Protocol not
15 > supported)
16 >
17 > That makes me think of some missing kernel config that may have been
18 > added or modified in recent kernels, so I tried gentoo-sources-3.0.6
19 > (same as my working amd64 machine) with no joy. Same error message.
20 >
21 > Have I missed some important gentoo bulletin about networking recently?
22 > Anyone have working packet sniffing on ~arch?
23
24 Hi,
25
26 If I remember correctly, I needed to set
27 Networking support -> Networking options -> Network packet filtering
28 framework (Netfilter) -> Core Netfilter Configuration -> Netfilter
29 connection tracking support
30
31 It has been a while though, so it may be another option in the
32 netfilter config - just try it :)
33
34 Lubos