From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Again: Critical bugs considered invalid
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 23:07:38
1 * burlingk@×××××××××.mil <burlingk@×××××××××.mil> wrote:
2
3 Hi,
4
5 > First: Cosmetic things, i.e. user interface issues, pretty
6 > pictures, and things that effect the overall look and feel.
7 >
8 > If they do not stop the program from functioning, they are
9 > not high priority. It may be agitating to look at, but it
10 > is not a bug.
11
12 Isnt that what the severity "enhancement" is for ?
13
14 > Second: Bug reports for real bugs.
15 > Bug reports need to be thorough. If they do not provide enough
16 > information to reproduce a bug, or at least explain exactly what
17 > is going on, then it is hard for the developers and bug squashers
18 > to do anything about it.
19
20 Sometimes, as the reported, you miss some important things. Okay.
21 Then the wrangler (or whom else works onthr bug) simply should ask
22 for more information.
23
24 But if your bugs are always marked as invalid, you loose any
25 motiviation for further contributions. Bug reports are also
26 contribution.
27
28 > Mounting your config files for firefox from a coda file
29 > system is far from standard in anyone's books.
30
31 Maybe. And maybe I'm almost alone with using Coda on Gentoo,
32 since the ebuilds are still very, very old.
33
34 But did anyone ask why I'm using symlinks in my ff profile,
35 or why the permission test might failed. Or did anyone tell
36 "hey, be careful about [...], we need it fo [...]" ?
37
38 No. The whole issue was simply declared invalid.
39
40 > if the idea of creating a new profile would not work for you,
41 > then recreating your firefox directory, with "physical" copies
42 > of the symlinked files would do the trick as well.
43
44 Not really. The symlinks are no problem for FF, it works perfectly
45 well. And I *need* them to store temporary stuff locally.
46 It's mozilla-launcher which artificially breaks if it *thinks*
47 something could be wrong.
48
49 > Imagine if you just sunk three years into a project, and suddenly
50 > someone started attacking you because it didn't work perfectly on
51 > their system.
52
53 Well, I'm working on lots of OSS projects for many many years.
54 But I never ever felt being attacked by an bug report.
57 cu
58 --
60 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
62 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
63 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
64 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
65 http://patches.metux.de/
67 --
68 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list