From: Fernando Rodriguez <cyklonite@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to keep my system from (nearly) freezing?
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 15:09:27
1 On 02/19/2017 07:53 AM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > sometime I have some memory hungry ebuilds in the background, when I
5 > start (e.g.) Chromium which needs very much memory if you have a lot of
6 > open tabs.
7 >
8 > In that case my system nearly freezes. I cannot even kill chrome.
9 > What can I do in that case. (Remote login doesn't work either)
10 >
11 > Can I have any additional program (like Chromium) die if there is not
12 > enough memory.
13
14 Yes, just disable swap as that is what happens when you run out of swap.
15 You can configure the likelihood of a process being killed through
16 /proc/<pid>/oom_adj. If you disable it for all processes after boot (ie.
17 through a script) then only the "additional" programs can be killed but
18 that may any program that's using a lot of memory so it may not be a
19 good idea for a desktop. See
20 http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/servers-storage-dev/oom-killer-1911807.html
21
22 > Many thanks for a hint,