From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] What is the definition of a gentoo "binary" package?
Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 01:49:13
1 <gory details of many frustrating hours of fighting with one particular
2 gentoo package have been snipped to eliminate uncouth language>
3
4 I think of a gentoo "binary" package (e.g. oracle-jdk-bin) as an ebuild
5 that fetches a file from somewhere, then merely unpacks that file and
6 sticks the results in /opt/<whatever>.
7
8 My experience today with libreoffice-bin has broken my mental model of
9 how a gentoo "binary" package behaves.
10
11 While trying to debug some broken behavior in the (non-binary) localc
12 spreadsheet app, I decided to install libreoffice-bin as an experiment.
13
14 The libreoffice-bin package wanted to drag in dozens of other non-binary
15 gentoo packages before it would install itself, and even caused a blocker
16 between two different versions of poppler. (I said "no" because I thought
17 the blocker would make the entire experiment fail in the end.)
18
19 Any thoughts from you gentoo gurus would be most appreciated.