From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] What is libX11.la, and how do I build it?
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 08:07:21
1 Hi, Gentoo.
2
3 I try to emerge, say, gtk+. It fails building the cairo lib. The build
4 log indicates:
5
6 /bin/sed: can't read /usr/lib64/libX11.la: No such file or directory
7
8 . Looking into lib64, most libraries have versions .a, .la, .so*. What
9 is .la? "file libevtlog.la" says "libtool library file". What does
10 this mean? Is it the 64 bit version, or something?
11
12 Why is libX11 lacking the .la version? More to the point, what do I
13 have to do to build it? I've already tried setting the "static-libs"
14 use flag in /etc/portage/package.use, to no avail.
17 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).