From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM2 Problems
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 20:39:19
1 On Thursday 11 May 2006 06:06, Barny M <bm2600@×××××.com> wrote about 'Re:
2 [gentoo-user] LVM2 Problems':
3 > Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
4 > > Then why do we see "zoom" here?
5 >
6 > Sorry "zoom" is actually "cont". For some reasons I good the word "zoom"
7 > in here :-(
8
9 Ah, well if all the messages say "cont" it's probably not a metadata
10 problem. Is dm-mod actually getting loaded? Also, you may be able to use
11 lvdisplay to determine the major/minor numbers of the block device you
12 need to create and then create it by hand. That may or may not work.
13
14 > > Also, be /very/ careful with upgrading LVM / device-mapper.
15 >
16 > Sure ;-)
17 >
18 > Back to my last question. Any thoughts how to get this fixed without
19 > remote hand (liveCD) only console ?
20
21 Without /usr portage isn't going to work, so any kernel/dm/lvm changes will
22 have to be without portage -- and might leave a little bit of cruft on
23 your system.
24
25 If you are fine with that... quickpkg or buildpkg dm/lvm on another
26 computer (mkae sure you CFLAGS are appropriately generic), copy over, and
27 just install with tar. Or build a different kernel, copy over to boot,
28 modify grub/re-run lilo and go.
31 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
32 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
33 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
34 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh