From: Bob Alexander <bob@×××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Few questions from Gentoo (not Linux) newb
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 06:18:37
1 Dear friends,
2 trying out Gentoo after many years (mostly) on Debian.
3
4 Q1) I wanted to use the swsusp2 patch to the kernel. emerged a package
5 and in fact it was an entirely new kernel tree with the patches
6 included. The swsusp2 patches are not at the latest level and I am
7 having problems (kernel oops) with this when suspending. What is the
8 correct way to deinstall this second kernel tree, obtain the swsusp2
9 patches only (I would know how to do that manually of course).
10
11 Q2) I now have a nice bootsplash upon booting but the shutdown process
12 is not shown (black screen and then poweroff). What's up ?
13
14 Q3) When emerging packages I get a message saying something like /etc 42
15 files need fixing (or similar do not have the machine here to try). What
16 should I actually do ? Why this message ?
17
18 Thank you very much,
19 Bob
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list