From: Dave Oxley <dave@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Network collisions
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 11:06:13
1 Ok, I've fixed the problem. I've plugged both systems into my router
2 (which is a switch) and they are working fine now. There is obviously a
3 bug in the 8139too driver. I'll have to live with the long cables going
4 to the switch for the time being though!!
5
6 Cheers for everyones help.
7 Dave.
8
9 James wrote:
10
11 >Dave Oxley <dave <at> daveoxley.co.uk> writes:
16 >>Yeah, its a hub. I'll stop trying to set it to full duplex now.
22 >>It is 40 times quicker in one direction than the other. Can you
23 >>give me a hint where to go from here.
27 >Try connecting the 2 systems with only a 'cross-over cable' run the applications
28 >and make measurements. If this results in an increase in the bandwidth
29 >in either direction, you may want to put systems back on the hub, and
30 >have a third system run ethereal. Look at your data traffic and see
31 >if anythingelse is using the bandwidth from either of these 2 system
32 >or what else is plug into the hub/switch.
33 >
34 >Is the hub a 10Mbps only hub/switch, check that. On 10 Mbps ethernet
35 >hubs,you can never reach the full 10 Mbps, in fact with many systems
36 >chattering,the practical throughput is marginally around 33%.
37 >
38 >If when you are on the cross over cable and you get similar poor
39 >results,then the problem may be in the ethernet driver code,
40 >kernel, irq settings or
41 >some other low level part of the kernel/modules, especially if
42 >you get the same skewed results with several different
43 >applications moving data between the systems. But, if when
44 > you move data between these 2 isolated system, and
45 >get different bandwidth performance semantics, then the problem
46 >is most likely between the applications or a bottleneck in the
47 >application code (poor data structure for example).
48 >
49 >Make sure you computers are not resource limited, thus blocking
50 >the processthat you are running to move the data. Top and ntop
51 >are just a few toolsto help track down these sort of issues.
52 >
53 >Sadly, you may have a complex mix of part or all of these
54 >aforementioned issues...
55 >
56 >hth,
57 >James