From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: Gentoo Users <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] U.V.C. Webcam Disconnects shortly after Registration
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 11:35:07
1 On Friday, 25 December 2020 03:56:58 GMT Ashley Dixon wrote:
2 > How's it going dudes?
3 >
4 > I bought a Logitech C270 webcam from Argos about a year ago, which,
5 > according to the LKDDb [1] and U.V.C. driver website [2], should work well
6 > on Linux. Despite working flawlessly until recently, some strange
7 > behaviour has appeared.
8
9 Have you changed anything recently on this PC, coincidental with this problem
10 arriving? Anything related to kernel/drivers, webcam related apps and audio?
11
12 Besides dmesg, do you get any other errors in syslog?
13
14 Have you disconnected all other USB devices on other ports hanging off the
15 same MoBo USB hub controller?
18 > When I connect the webcam, `dmesg` registers it as would be expected
19 > (timestamps omitted):
20 >
21 > usb 3-7: new high-speed USB device number 14 using xhci_hcd
22 > usb 3-7: New USB device found, idVendor=046d, idProduct=0825,
23 > bcdDevice= 0.12 usb 3-7: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0,
24 > SerialNumber=2 usb 3-7: SerialNumber: 9EEFE4E0
25 > uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device <unnamed> (046d:0825)
26 > input: UVC Camera (046d:0825) as
27 > /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb3/3-7/3-7:1.0/input/input27 usb 3-7:
28 > set resolution quirk: cval->res = 384
29 >
30 > However, about two seconds later, me having done nothing, the kernel ring
31 > buffer suggests it has been physically unplugs, and thus deregisters the
32 > device...
33 >
34 > USB disconnect, device number 14
35
36 I don't have the same camera, but it could be something related to power.
37 When the device is detected and initialised by udev + kernel driver, it starts
38 drawing more current to deal with features like autofocus/exposure. Once it
39 settles the current consumption reduces.
42 > I have tested this on another very similar machine, and this problem is not
43 > to be seen, and everything works perfectly; thus ruling out a hardware
44 > issue with the camera. Furthermore, no other devices---even other U.V.C.
45 > webcams---do not present with the same symptoms on my machine, in the same
46 > U.S.B. port; thus ruling out any issue with the physical port or
47 > motherboard controller.
48
49 Not necessarily.
50
51 Stating the obvious, other machines are not the *same* machine. Differences
52 in mV/μA between MoBos could cause a marginal case to manifest itself.
53
54 Other UVC webcams, are not the same webcam in terms of sensitivity and
55 electrical consumption.
58 > I have no idea how to triage this further. I feel like my head has been
59 > nailed to a coffee table by Dinsdale Piranha. Any tips? My kernel is
60 > 5.9.13-zen1, although this trouble presents identically on a vanilla
61 > kernel.
62
63 Do you have an external USB hub, with its own separate power supply, to see if
64 connecting the camera to it overcomes with this problem?
65
66 Check if the driver has any power saving features with 'modinfo' and if
67 switchable, disable them and try again.
68
69 Camera sensors and chips can degrade over time and change their performance
70 with differences in temperature. I appreciate a year is not long enough, but
71 I had camera sensors fail in a matter of months - thankfully still under
72 warranty.
75 > Cheers.
76 >
77 > Hope everyone is remaining well.