From: "Dustin C. Hatch" <admiralnemo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] local overlay problem
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 02:52:51
1 On 1/31/2013 20:41, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > Firefox 17.0.2 requires alsa-lib , which I don't want as I don't use sound;
3 > this is still the case with USE="-alsa".
4 >
5 > I want to test what happens if I try to compile it without that dep,
6 > so I copied the ebuild to /var/lib/layman/local/www-client/firefox/
7 > & commented the relevant line to remove the RDEPEND.
8 > When I then tried 'ebuild <newpkgname>...ebuild manifest',
9 > it started to download xillions of little .xpi files into distfiles ,
10 > apparently 1 for each of the World's many languages
11 > (this didn't happen at my last 'eix-sync').
12 >
13 > Can anyone suggest a way to avoid this problem ?
14 >
15 It's downloading those files so it can recalculate the file hashes. When
16 running `ebuild <file> digest`, it has to have all possible files
17 available in order to update the Manifest file.
18
19 Those languages won't be installed when you actually install your
20 modified package. You'll probably want to keep them around until you're
21 finished making changes, though.
24 ♫Dustin