From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mounting Question...
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 21:41:07
1 On Thursday 20 December 2007, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 15:12:17 +0100, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
3 > > Then, create a volume group spawning [hs]da3 with name vg00 (you can
4 > > choose the name freely) and create logical volumes inside:
5 >
6 > I'd use a less generic name, otherwise you'll have problems if the
7 > computer fails and you try to connect the disk to another computer that
8 > has a vg00 volume group. I generally use a name related to the computer's
9 > hostname, which avoids conflicts.
10
11 I can already see that this thread is going to run, and run, and ... :)
12
13 These days most people do not have a separate /boot partition as has already
14 been mentioned. Depending on the size of your disk and your need for a swap
15 partition you may want to have it at the beginning of a partition, or for
16 larger disks in the middle. At the beginning you get faster read/write and
17 in the middle you get faster access (I'm splitting hairs here, but it's fun
18 anyway). Certain partitions (if you decide to go for multi-partition scheme)
19 like /var/tmp, /tmp, /usr will benefit being at the beginning of the disk.
20 Others (e.g. /root, /mnt, /sbin less so).
21
22 Unlike commonly perceived wisdom I don't think that LVM is a panacea for all
23 ills, or a necessity as such. It is however bloody convenient, especially on
24 a growing fs. A server that is not expected to change much in size, probably
25 does not need it. On the other hand some servers (file, mail, news servers)
26 are bound to continue to accumulate data and their fs will increase in time.
27 I would argue that the former type of server can happily live in a few primary
28 partitions + 1 extended with a number of logical partitions, if you are going
29 for a multi-partitioned scheme, while the latter type of server will greatly
30 benefit from LVM. Of course, if hard drive redundancy is necessary, then I
31 can't see how you could live without LVM + RAID.
32
33 With regards to your 47G /usr/portage partition I think that it is a waste of
34 space. It won't harm you other than the fact that the 3.8G OS partition is
35 in all likelihood too small. This is what I would do: tar the contents
36 of /usr/portage elsewhere (even in the 3.8G partition - it should fit if you
37 clear any cruft and, or use bzip). Delete the 47G partition and use gparted
38 to enlarge the 3.8G partition to say, 8-10G. Then create a new partition say
39 another 8-10G for /usr/portage. Then create anymore separate partitions you
40 may need (for /home and what have you). mkfs as required, modify
41 your /etc/fstab and move your data in your respective new partitions. If you
42 think your fs is/are going to grow use LVM instead, otherwise primaries and
43 if you need more than 4 then (extended + logical).
44
45 Just my 2c's.
46 --
47 Regards,