From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge colors and light background
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 07:31:19
1 James Cloos <cloos@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > For eix, I have this in a file in /etc/eixrc/:
3 >
4 > BG0=none
5 > BG1=none
6 > BG2=none
7 > BG3=none
8
9 If you only use colorscheme 3 you need only BG3=none
10
11 > COLORSCHEME0=3
12 > COLORSCHEME1=3
13
14 The former (...0=3) should have no effect at all if your TERM
15 is recognized by eix as 256-color capable.
16 The latter (...1=3) should have no effect if you really have
17
18 > COLORFGBG='0;15'
19
20 in your environment: Then automatically the scheme
21 for white background should be chosen (from the
22 default value COLORSCHEME1="1 3").
23
24 > That is not as good as eix did before the current 256-color schemes were
25 > added
26
27 Really? With ...=0 (instead of ...=3) you get the "old" colors.
28 Is this really better readable even on white bg?
29 An attempt to "adapt" this for white bg is ...=2 (instead of ...=3):
30 That uses from the 8/16 system colors only those which are presumably
31 readable on white bg.
32
33 BTW, if somebody wants to invest time to generate a better color scheme
34 for 256 colors and white background for eix, I invite you to submit patches.
35 The requirements for acceptence of a new/alternative 256 color scheme are
36
37 1. none of the 8/16 system colors are used (because their default
38 values depend on the terminal and its customization and are thus
39 not "fixed")
40
41 2. of course readability on white background
42
43 3. differently marked things must look different _optically_ on
44 white background.
45
46 4. (technical detail: Use %{BG3} for the background).
47
48 2 and 3 together reduce the "apparently available" 240 colors
49 to a surprisingly small number. Try "eix --256d" to get an idea,
50 noting that not only some colors printed close to each other are
51 optically almost undistinguishable (the cube has 3 dimensions...)
52
53 If somebody wants to invest the time and needs just technical help,
54 drop me a pm or - perhaps better so that other possible contributors
55 can read, too - open a bug for eix on github.