From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nvidia driver plus kernel info questions
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 17:47:36
1 Wynn Wolf Arbor wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 >> I'm currently using the 390 slot since when I installed that card,
5 >> that is what it showed.  I'm almost 100% certain I checked this when
6 >> installing this card. My question is, is it normal for nvidia to
7 >> change the series of drivers for cards like this?
8 >
9 > A driver series is not necessarily bound to a specific card, so it is
10 > normal to see newer driver series supporting older devices. I'd assume
11 > that 390 was the current stable series back when you checked it. The
12 > current series is 440.
13 >
14 > For the current series, you also have drivers separated into a
15 > "long-lived" and a "short-lived" branch - as far as I know that only
16 > marks how long a driver receives official support, but don't quote me
17 > on that.
18 >
19 > The most recent driver is 440.82 in the long-lived branch. You can
20 > find a list of all Unix drivers at [1] without having to fill out any
21 > forms.
22 >
23 > Then there's also the legacy driver series specifically for devices
24 > that the current driver no longer supports. A GTX 480 card, for
25 > example, would need the 390 series. There's a list at [2] and more
26 > info about support timeframes at [3].
27 >
28 >> According to that the 440 series supports the 5.6 series of kernel.
29 >> It doesn't indicate a specific version tho. Does that mean I can go
30 >> to the very latest version or do I need to look elsewhere to see what
31 >> is supported?
32 >
33 > In this case you can go with the very latest release, yes. Any future
34 > 440.* driver will work for you.
35 >
36 > Once a new series is released (I don't know how frequent that is) you
37 > might want to check whether your card still supports that, however.
38 >
39 > Hope this helped clear up the confusion.
40 >
41 > [1] https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/unix/
42 > [2] https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/unix/legacy-gpu/
43 > [3] https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3142
47 That does make sense.  Maybe it was something I recall from a long time
48 ago but I thought a series of drivers was designed for certain cards and
49 those drivers were the only ones to be used.  Either I recall that
50 wrongly or it changed.  Either way.  At least now I can get the latest
51 kernel and the latest nvidia and give it a go.  I might add, I'm bad to
52 use older cards.  I buy used or new but on a really good sale.  ;-)  I'm
53 not to demanding on video cards really.  The biggest thing, it outputs
54 to my monitor like I look at when typing now and it also outputs to my
55 TV which is playing Bones at the moment.  Next week it may be Columbo or
56 Scooby Doo.  ROFL
57
58 Thanks much.  Helped a lot.
59