From: AG <computing.account@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Basic queries regarding installation from an outsider looking in
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 13:05:12
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 12:02:50 +0100, AG wrote:
5 >> (1) Looking through the background docs, it occurs to me that if I
6 >> wanted to install Gentoo on my system, I would need access to a second
7 >> machine that is running all of the on-line docs that guide one through
8 >> the installation process. Is this correct? If not, how does one refer
9 >> to the (seemingly quite comprehensive) guidelines whilst in the middle
10 >> of an installation?
13 > Look at the alternate install docs. Although these relate to using a live
14 > CD like Knoppix, you can also use an already installed system for this.
15 > So you can install Gentoo from a chroot in your existing Debian system
16 > (you will may a live CD to repartition). That way you can not only read
17 > the docs, you can read your email, browse the web or play games while the
18 > installation proceeds.
21 Hmm ... it looks like I need to beef up my chroot know-how. My /home
22 partition is large enough to partition a dedicated area without problems
23 I'd imagine. That sounds a reasonably painless way forward, but not for
24 now.
25 >> (2) When Gentoo installs its libraries, does this duplicate the
26 >> libraries already on my machine? For instance - if I have OOo and KDE
27 >> and Xfce4 loaded as part of my Debian Squeeze system, will Gentoo also
28 >> install its own version of OOo, KDE and Xfce4 alongside the Deb files?
29 >> I was thinking that this would have a number of implications in terms
30 >> of space and (potentially) in how the drive is partitioned for the
31 >> Gentoo installation ... unless I'm missing the point?
34 > Your Gentoo and Debian systems would, and should, be totally separate,
35 > apart from shared user data.
38 So ... changes to user documents, etc. in Gentoo would be reflected at
39 the next Debian login? Is this what you mean?
40 >> (3) What differences would I likely experience between running my
41 >> Debian installation and the Gentoo installation? After all, up to a
42 >> certain point GNU/Linux is GNU/Linux, and if I configured all the bells
43 >> and whistles the same way as I have currently got them set up (i.e.
44 >> preferred WM, desktop settings, applications, email and Net
45 >> preferences, etc.), I'm not sure there would be any ostensible
46 >> distinction between the two.
49 > From a user perspective, you are right, Linux is Linux and different
50 > distros tend to be different ways of arriving at a similar point. The
51 > main difference is in the system administration.
54 Well put.
55 >> Any installation commitment will have to wait for a couple of weeks yet
56 >> though: I'm in the process of completing my MSc thesis and need to keep
57 >> a stable environment for the time being, so will look at taking this on
58 >> in a few weeks. This is thus background research - a bit of a
59 >> reconnaissance mission, so to speak. Any thoughts/ shared experiences
60 >> would be welcome ... unless there is another, more appropriate forum
61 >> for these kinds of experiences to be shared/ discussed.
64 > Installing from within your existing system means you can fit the Gentoo
65 > installation process in around your other computer usage.
69 This sounds all the more doable. Clearly more reading is required, so
70 this will be parked for a while longer until time permits. Then with
71 back-ups and good docs, it sounds like it might be an interesting winter
72 project to take on.
73
74 Thanks.
75