From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] coexisting GCC versions
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 23:24:54
1 Roger Mason writes:
2
3 > I need gcc 4.3 to compile a specific application. I am hoping that I
4 > can install gcc 4.3 alongside 4.1.1 without suffering some awful
5 > catastrophe. This is the output of emerge on the machine in question:
6 [...]
7 > Can someone confirm that I'll be able to use gcc 4.3 for the specific
8 > application that needs it but then revert to 4.1.1 without having to
9 > re-compile all or most of my system?
10
11 I'm pretty sure you can. Emerge gcc 4.3, activate it with gcc-config,
12 compile your application, and use gcc-config again to revert back to 4.1 if
13 you like.
14
15 Or keep 4.3 as default, I don't think you could run into problems.
16
17 Wonko