From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --depclean wants to remove required packages
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 16:13:58
1 On Tuesday 27 February 2007, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 [ snip lots of useful bacground info]
4
5 > > 2. If you never had gnome installed but did have evo installed,
6 > > then removed evo, everything looks proper.
7 > >
8 > > So, let --depclean do it's thing. Then emerge -uND world and run
9 > > revder-rebuild to fix anything that remains.
10 >
11 > Based on my response above should I be doing this? From the info I
12 > posted earlier if I emerge -C jasper, as --depclean wants to do, then
13 > it seems it will just be emerged again at emerge -DuN world.
14 >
15 > I'm happy to do it if it's the right thing to do. I'm just not
16 > understanding why it should fix things.
17
18 You have 15 packages that appear to be problematic, which leaves you
19 with two realistic options:
20
21 1. Spend ages tracing each dep down and seeing what gives, or
22 2. Just run emerge --depclean followed by revdep-rebuild and emerge -uND
23 world anyway. Sure, it will take some extra compile time, but it will
24 also filter out the packages that you actually don't have to worry
25 about.
26
27 I'd recommend #2, which will hopefully leave us with a much smaller list
28 of packages to investigate.
29
30 alan
34 Optimists say the glass is half full,
35 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
36 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
37
38 Alan McKinnon
39 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
40 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
41 --
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list