From: Ryan Tandy <tarpman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Protecting my server against an individual
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 02:08:18
1 Grant wrote:
2 > It has come to my attention that a particular person I know may be
3 > intent on attacking my server/website in any way possible. He doesn't
4 > know much about Linux but does know Windows. What kind of things
5 > should I lock down to protect my remote hosted server? I don't have
6 > time to get too crazy with security right now, but what kinds of
7 > simple tricks might this fellow learn by asking around on forums, etc?
8
9 Assuming your packages are all up to date security-wise (glsa-check) and
10 you're running a firewall of some kind (and you'd be crazy not to for
11 any publically accessible box), there isn't much stuff you can do
12 (without investing a bunch of time and effort in learning new things)
13 besides change your passwords a bit more frequently and keep a close eye
14 on logs from network-accessible programs (sshd, httpd, firewall).
15 --
16 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list