From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Bootup drops back to console from kdm
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 09:16:22
1 It must be a year or so now with all different kernels. On boot up kdm fires
2 up, but within 5 seconds or so and while the use is busy entering their
3 passwd on the kdm screen, it suddenly returns to the console. Alt+F7 brings
4 them back to their kdm, but this behaviour is clearly wrong. I suspect that
5 this is caused by dhcpcd getting an IP address, or vixie cron (the last two
6 things shown on the console when the user gets dumped back on it) but I can't
7 understand why these two services will cause such a problem on this machine,
8 when other machines with the same services work fine.
9
10 Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this one? I can't see anything amiss on
11 dmesg, or messages/syslog.
12 --
13 Regards,
14 Mick