From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Setting CFLAGS for a single build
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 15:56:57
1 On Saturday 24 May 2008, Erik Ruotsalainen wrote:
2 > On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 10:02:50AM +0000, dhk wrote:
3 > > How can I modify the CFLAGS before emerging a package? I want to
4 > > add -g2 to the compile of libxml2 so I can step through their
5 > > functions. If I add -g2 to CFLAGS in make.conf it will do it for
6 > > all packages which is not what I want.
7 > >
8 > > Thanks,
9 > >
10 > > Dave
11 > > --
12 > > gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list
13 >
14 > Same way as with USE flags, I think.
15 >
16 > # CFLAGS="-g2" emerge libxml2
17
18 This works, but is not recommended.
19
20 Portage will not remember those settings in a way that can be
21 duplicated, so the next time that package gets remerged (especially as
22 part of a deep update) it will be recompiled without the custom CFLAGS.
23
24 This is a serious blunder and non-trivial to detect and fix. It violates
25 the sacrosanct Law Of No Unexpected Side Effects
29 Alan McKinnon
30 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
33 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list