From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysqld invoked oom-killer
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 20:06:53
1 On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 1:48 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >>>> Then why not have a really big swap file?  If swap is useful as a
4 >>>> second layer of caching behind RAM, why doesn't everyone with some
5 >>>> extra hard drive space have a 100GB swap file?
6 >>>
7 >>> I have 12GB of RAM and 12GB of swap on my main PC. Why? Because... why
8 >>> not? :) After 5 days uptime, it actually has 89M of swap used for some
9 >>> reason. It has over 10GB cached. All of my sysctl vm.* settings have
10 >>> been left to the defaults. So I guess it just pushed some unused stuff
11 >>> out to swap to make room for more caching.
12 >
13 > Uh oh.  Did I misunderstand you Paul?  Do you have 10GB cached in swap or RAM?
14 >
15 > - Grant
18 >> That's what I'm curious about.  If some swap is good, why isn't more
19 >> better?  Paul has demonstrated that a Linux system will put at least
20 >> 10GB to use and probably much more given the opportunity.  Disk space
21 >> is so cheap, why isn't everyone running a 10GB or 100GB swap since
22 >> Linux will actually put it to use?
23 >>
24 >> - Grant
25
26 In RAM. Total swap usage was only 89M.