From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Linus Torvalds on systemd
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 20:58:15
1 On Sep 18, 2014 2:37 AM, "Volker Armin Hemmann" <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 >
4 > Am 17.09.2014 um 18:06 schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
5 > > This is highly off-topic, and systemd-related, so if you don't want
6 > > your breakfast with a healthy amount of flames, skip it.
7 > >
8 > > iTWire posted an interview with Linus Torvalds[1], where the Big
9 > > Penguin himself gave a succinct and pretty fair opinion on systemd.
10 > > The gist of it can be resumed in two lines:
11 > >
12 > > "I don't personally mind systemd, and in fact my main desktop and
13 > > laptop both run it."
14 > >
15 > > I post it here because several times in the last discussions about
16 > > systemd, there was people asking what opinion Linus had about systemd.
17 > > I personally don't think Linus particular opinion matters at all in
18 > > this particular issue; in general people who likes systemd will
19 > > continue to like it, and people who despises it will continue to do
20 > > so, for any good, bad, real or imaginary reason. However, I *really*
21 > > like several things Linus says in the interview; some juicy bits:
22 > >
23 > > • "So I think many of the "original ideals" of UNIX are these days
24 > > more of a mindset issue than necessarily reflecting reality of the
25 > > situation."
26 > >
27 > > • "There's still value in understanding the traditional UNIX "do one
28 > > thing and do it well" model where many workflows can be done as a
29 > > pipeline of simple tools each adding their own value, but let's face
30 > > it, it's not how complex systems really work, and it's not how major
31 > > applications have been working or been designed for a long time. It's
32 > > a useful simplification, and it's still true at *some* level, but I
33 > > think it's also clear that it doesn't really describe most of
34 > > reality."
35 > >
36 > > • "...systemd is in no way the piece that breaks with old UNIX legacy."
37 > >
38 > > • " I'm still old-fashioned enough that I like my log-files in text,
39 > > not binary, so I think sometimes systemd hasn't necessarily had the
40 > > best of taste, but hey, details..[.]"
41 > >
42 > > • (About the "single-point-of-failure" "argument") "I think people are
43 > > digging for excuses. I mean, if that is a reason to not use a piece of
44 > > software, then you shouldn't use the kernel either."
45 > >
46 > > • "And there's a classic term for it in the BSD camps: "bikeshed
47 > > painting", which is very much about how random people can feel like
48 > > they have the ability to discuss superficial issues, because everybody
49 > > feels that they can give an opinion on the color choice. So issues
50 > > that are superficial get a lot more noise. Then when it comes to
51 > > actual hard and deep technical decisions, people (sometimes) realise
52 > > that they just don't know enough, and they won't give that the same
53 > > kind of mouth-time."
54 > >
55 > > It's an interesting read; I highly recommend it.
56 > >
57 > > [1]
58 http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/open-source/65402-torvalds-says-he-has-no-strong-opinions-on-systemd
59 >
60 > Now you use this to advertise for systemd?
61 >
62 > Systemd fanbois are becoming more and more desperate.
65 Oh give it a rest volker. its been obvious for years on this list that when
66 it really came down to it, many systemd "critics" (and i airquote that
67 because the amount of critical thinking is imaginary) were almost entirely
68 devoid of technical arguments when or even background knowledge, to the
69 point of embarassing themselves on the amount of "unix" knowledge they
70 purport to know.
71
72 theres been a terrible history of being blatantly ignorant about what a
73 software does and yet running the mouth about why its wrong, as if you had
74 a better idea on how to coordinate hundreds of disparate develeoper
75 projects on how to run their own ships. blatantly refusing to give a crap
76 what an "init thingy" is, or showing a hilarious understanding of what fhs
77 is supposed to do or solve, to downright manufacturing what the /usr split
78 was supposed to be about, or denying that boot up race conditions were a
79 thing... the list goes on and it only betrays the haters' biases.
80
81 fact of the matter is running to Linus' latest flame on udev or systemd or
82 fhs etc has been a standard go-to for haters t bring up for years past...
83 and now that Linus is like "well its okay blablabla" now the systemd peeps
84 are desperate?
85
86 no, you are. go read yourself some fucking man pages, maybe youll learn a
87 little unix.