From: Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] SNAFU: The plot thickens!
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 22:07:19
1 My ordeal with grub continues.
2
3 I tried the bleeding edge GRUB, no change in behavior.
6 I realized that I had an additional source of information that I had
7 been neglecting. The boot fixer thumb drive I had in the back of the
8 mascheen was booting UEFI into a crappy bloating debian-ish thingy. It's
9 using an ubuntu fork of Grub and kernel 3.13 (!!!!!!!)
10
11 I tried to get it to load my main kernel, same error: Invalid sector
12 size: [2^16 - 1]....
13
14 Which is an indictment of how I set up my SSD.
15
16 My procedure was as follows:
17
18 1. Take SSD out of shrink wrap.
19 2. Plug some random wires in. (I have a motherboard with a marvell
20 secondary controller with a driver that doesn't request required
21 resources from the IOMMU stack so I had to move things down to a working
22 port, but well......)
23 3. Open Gparted
24 4. Create MFT partition table.
25 5. Allocate 0.1% of the drive to fat32 boot. (Okay, wasn't thinking too
26 hard, it's pretty excessively big but well...)
27 6. Format everything else ext4, which some random website says was good
28 for SSDs.
29
30 So obviously I did everything completely, hopelessly, wrong, as usual.....
31
32 Maybe there is some issue where the drive negotiated some state of the
33 art protocol with the chipset that grub doesn't support?
34
35 I have no idea what happens when I select the menu item that is supposed
36 to load the kernel, I cannot prove that it's even loading the kernel
37 image into memory.
38
39 Linux is going to need a much lower fail factor for me to like it. =|
42 Strange Game.
43 The only winning move is not to play.
44
45 Powers are not rights.