From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Phonon concurrent access on device
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 16:27:21
1 On Sunday 29 November 2009 16:32:47 Dan Cowsill wrote:
2 > When I was first messing around with Linux, I think I was using
3 > Mandrake (back when it was called Mandrake) and this issue crept up on
4 > me. Back then, if I understand correctly, it was accepted behaviour
5 > for hardware to be accessible by one program at a time. There was a
6 > fix back then that involved running some sort of daemon, but its been
7 > a while since I messed with KDE or Mandrake.
10 That was a long time ago :-)
11
12 alsa was very limited at the time and mixing had to be done in software. Which
13 spawned a rash of sound daemons that arts.
14
15 Thankfully, those days are long gone.
19 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com