From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] scrapping hal
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 21:07:35
1 I've been off the list a good while and wondered if there is some kind
2 of guide to scrap hal.
3
4 I understand it is being done away with upstream and will probably
5 require some changes on users part.
6
7 I'm also guessing there is some kind of replacement that I need to
8 learn about if it effects my longtime reliance on xorg.conf to keep
9 using my huge desktops I like to use. For yrs I've
10 used.
11
12 Subsection "Display"
13 Depth 24
14 Modes "1280x1024" #"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
15 Virtual 2048 1536
16 ViewPort 0 0
17 EndSubsection
18 EndSection
19
20 in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
21 To get a 2048x1536 desktop to flop around on.
22
23 I've never seen or heard of a way to get that without using xorg.conf.
24
25 Other things, I noticed was the onetime I did try to dump hal I ended
26 up with no mouse or keyboard and fiddled with that a couple days,
27 finally going back to hal.
28
29 That has been probably a yr or more ago now.
30
31 Back to the point: Can anyone provide some URLS that will help me
32 form a battle plan or even better a brief outline of (generally) how
33 to proceed with more or less painlessly dumping hal?