From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] about the minimal install isos
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 18:19:42
1 On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 18:37, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 24 June 2011, at 02:02, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >
5 >> I just happened to run into a situation where rsync would have been
6 >> really handy to have on board while booting a minimal install iso.
7 >>
8 >> I was surprised to find rsync was not amongst the onboard tools.
9 >>
10 >> Isn't rsync a pretty basic tool to be missing from a bootable install
11 >> disc?
12 >
13 > The goal of the minimal install CDs is to make them small. I don't know how large they are now, but there used to be debate (regularly, IIRC, on gentoo-dev) about including vi or vim. I think at that time the minimal CD was down to about 22meg, and there was no way vim would be included due to its "excessive" size (I think with deps it maybe ran to as much as 40meg).
14 >
15 > I haven't used Gentoo's install CDs in years. I think there may have even been a period during which they weren't produced or supported. If I'm installing a Gentoo system I now always use SystemRescueCD. I would imagine that would have rsync on it.
16 >
17 > Stroller.
20 While we're at it...
21