From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Managing multiple Gentoo systems
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 00:34:07
1 Grant wrote:
2 > After a frustrating experience with a Linksys WRT54GL, I've decided to
3 > stick with Gentoo routers. This increases the number of Gentoo
4 > systems I'm responsible for and they're nearing double-digits. What
5 > can be done to make the management of multiple Gentoo systems easier?
6 > I think identical hardware in each system would help a lot but I'm not
7 > sure that's practical. I need to put together a bunch of new
8 > workstations and I'm thinking some sort of server/client arrangement
9 > with the only Gentoo install being on the server could be appropriate.
10 >
11 > - Grant
16 If I had a dozen or so rigs, I would want them to be identical at least
17 as far as mobos and such. Drives and such could vary depending on other
18 things tho. If you use the same USE flags, you could update one and
19 then copy /etc/portage/* to the other rigs then the updates could just
20 be binary installs from the first rig updated.
21
22 The only thing that might bite you is if you have different uses for
23 each rig. If you have different packages installed, then you may have
24 to compile for that. Most likely tho, you could use binaries for at
25 least the system packages and save some time.
26
27 I think Alan has some rigs and may be able to share more ideas. Maybe
28 some others could comment that have dealt with the same thing.
29
30 Dale
31