From: Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Binary chrome - is it safe in terms of dependencies?
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 06:57:05
1 On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 7:05 AM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Yohan Pereira <yohan.pereira@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 30/01/13 at 11:09pm, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
4 >>> Since Gentoo updates libraries very quickly, I'm wondering if it is
5 >>> safe to use the binary version? Has anyone faced library breakages on
6 >>> this?
7 >>>
8 >>> Chromium is easily recompiled with new libraries and you don't have a
9 >>> broken browser, which won't really be the case with the binary
10 >>> version.
11 >>
12 >> I've used the binary version (google-chrome) for a while and never
13 >> had any breakages. I guess if there's a library update that could
14 >> potentially break google-chrome the gentoo devs would add a blocker so
15 >> you wont be able to install the 2 at the same time.
18 > Or I can just bundle a copy of the necessary libraries, similar to
19 > what I have done for libudev.so.0.
22 Sounds good. I guess I'll switch to binary chrome then.
25 Nilesh Govindrajan
26 http://nileshgr.com