From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [WAS: keyboard stops working] Recent kernels block the loading of non-GPL kernel modules
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 23:31:51
1 On Wednesday, August 19, 2015 5:28:37 PM Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 3:06 PM, Fernando Rodriguez
3 > <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > The illegal part is not loading it but distributing the blob that depends
6 on
7 > > the GPL exports.
8 >
9 > What makes it illegal? Quote the text of the relevant statute or
10 > court case. That is the issue here. People argue that linking
11 > creates a derivative work, and I think that at best it only creates a
12 > derivative work after the image ends up in RAM. The blob itself
13 > doesn't contain any kernel code, unless you count a bunch of symbol
14 > names. And that is API copyrighting, which is a horrible idea (though
15 > one the US seems to be entertaining now all the same; Murcia!).
16
17 I'm not a lawyer but as I understand it, it's not on the "letter of the law"
18 because it's a technical issue and the law hasn't caught up.
19
20 My view, and what I think is most in the spirit of the law, is that it is a
21 derived work simply because it doesn't work without those GPL exports.
24 Fernando Rodriguez