From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS for Windows - does any Wiki solution 'just work'?
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 17:12:56
1 On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 10:01 AM, kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On 10/4/2011 8:43 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Yes. Samba is the basis of the link above, and I figure it's going to
5 >> be the underlying technology that does the work. I was just wondering
6 >> if there was a more user oriented, possibly GUI based app that did all
7 >> the dirty work sort of like the CUPS web interface does with CUPS
8 >> configuration.
9 >
10 >        In Samba's case the config is pretty simple if you ignore printing
11 > which you should. Just add the IP range, setup a share, and add some
12 > accounts or leave it public. Probably take longer to setup a gui.
13 >
14 > kashani
18 I suspect you are right, but Alan's recommendation of wicd was so easy
19 to set up and use I'm hoping someone did something similar for NAS
20 solutions. Also, my VMs are both Win XP and Win 7, and my
21 understanding of those is that remote support is different, so I'm
22 concerned I'll end up going down some rabbit hole trying to get the
23 new setup to support everything, but maybe I'm wrong about that?
24
25 - Mark