From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A tiny titillating taste of grub2
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 00:33:21
1 On Saturday 08 January 2011 15:36:49 walt wrote:
2 > About three years ago I spent a lot of time on the grub2 mailing list,
3 > building grub2 from their svn repo, even submitting a patch or two to
4 > get it working for the *BSD family.
5 >
6 > Then I got old and tired and I settled on gentoo. I deleted all the
7 > other OS's from my machines, including (especially) Windows -- so I no
8 > longer need to multiboot five different OS's -- and so I lost interest
9 > in the sexy new features of grub2.
10 >
11 > Lately, though, I've been using multiple USB sticks, and having them
12 > plugged in at boot-time can confuse legacy grub into booting from the
13 > wrong disk, i.e. not booting at all. Very annoying.
14 >
15 > So, I installed grub-1.98 and I've found that it *does* find partitions
16 > by UUID, and even by LABEL, amongst multiple disks. Very nifty.
17 >
18 > Not so fast, though. I don't know how to write a grub.conf file that
19 > can tell grub2 how to do that automatically so I don't need to type
20 > commands at the interactive grub2 command prompt.
21 >
22 > That's where you testosterone-pumped youngsters (Dale? Volker? Alan?
23 > Neil? Anyone?) can help fix this basically silly problem.
24 >
25 > grub2 is enough different from legacy grub to make the learning curve
26 > very steep -- but I'm only about half-way up the curve and I'm fading
27 > fast. (I usually unplug the offending USB stick and reboot :)
28 >
29 > If anyone here is interested enough to spend some real time and effort
30 > on grub2, I can offer a few pointers, but I'm not willing to do the real
31 > grunt work myself.
32 >
33 > Hm, sunset. Off to bed :)
34
35 a) never used grub2. Not interessted either. Seems to be infected by GNU.
36 Which means 'it doesn't matter that it needs 250mb.. but it got this nifty
37 feature'
38
39 b) never had a problem with grub booting the wrong disk just because some usb
40 sticks are inserted or esata drive turned on. And I have my bios read grub
41 from a different disk (sdb/c/d) then root (sda) (/boot is on a md raid1
42 partition, / is on a ssd..)
43
44 In conclusion: I am out of this. Sorry.