From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /etc/issue information
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:58:56
1 On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 04:44:19PM +0100, Penguin Lover Marco Calviani squawked:
2 > file i've observed that effectively the system shows the "welcome" string.
3 > However i'm not seeing the effective system name, kernel etc.... but only this:
4 >
5 > This is \n.\O (\s \m \r) \t
6 >
7 > Password:
8 >
9 > it seems that the escape character is not correctly identified.
12 Not an answer, but an observation on my part of a similar behaviour:
13
14 On my box, the "first" load of the issue would display the right thing
15 (substituting the proper text for all the escape characters), but if,
16 say, I type in an invalid username/password combo, login will wait a
17 few seconds (like it is told to do) and display the banner again. But
18 this time, the escaped characters will be displayed like what you
19 have there. But if I once again log-in correctly, and then log-out,
20 the banner displayed on that VC would be correct again.
21
22 I can't figure out what's wrong either.
23
24 W
25 --
26 Man, I broke my G string trying to finger a minor...
27 Now my guitar is useless.
28 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 107 days, 9:03
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list