From: Thanasis <thanasis@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] best practice for kernel mainteneance
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 12:48:45
1 on 11/28/2008 10:53 AM Dirk Heinrichs wrote the following:
2 > Am Freitag 28 November 2008 09:41:55 schrieb ext Thanasis:
5 >> Regarding kernel maintenance, mostly from the point of view of security,
6 >> which is the best way to go:
7 >> 1) Having gentoo-sources in /var/lib/portage/world, which would mean the
8 >> sources would be upgraded whenever portage marks a newer version as
9 >> stable (provided someone follows stable)?
10 >> 2) Not having gentoo-sources in /var/lib/portage/world, which would mean
11 >> the sources would be upgraded only as a dependency for some other
12 >> package (which is quite improbable/rare)?
13 >>
14 >> (or, I may be missing something :-) )
17 > Yes. Having the _sources_ upgraded doesn't gain you anything. You have to
18 > actually compile a new kernel from them and reboot the system with that new
19 > kernel. Do you do this right after every kernel source update?
20 Yes, I always try to do it.
21 > I don't. I only do this when it's possible to reboot the machine.
22 >
23 Of course.
24 > That's the reason why I don't care kernel source upgrades via package manager
25 > on any system. Only when it's possible to reboot the machine, I update the
26 > kernel sources via git (much faster than installing a complete package), build
27 > the new kernel and eventually update all out-of-tree modules via
28 > portage/paludis beforehand.
29 >
30 > HTH...
31 >
32 > Dirk
33 >
34 OK, I'm not acquainted with git... :-\ , but that's another subject. :-)