From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 14:26:46
1 Bruce Hill wrote:
2 > On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 07:41:45AM -0600, Dale wrote:
3 >> Right now, I have /usr on a separate partition so I would need a init
4 >> thingy to boot. When I switch to eudev, that won't be required, from
5 >> what I have read anyway.
6 >>
7 >> I didn't want the init thingy to begin with either.
8 >>
9 >> Dale
10 > Let me translate his "Mississippi English"...
11 >
12 > define: init thingy
13 >
14 > initrd: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initrd
15 >
16 > My file server has /boot with / on /dev/md0 (well, see here:)
17 >
18 > mingdao@server ~ $ egrep -v "(^#|^ *$)" /etc/fstab
19 > /dev/md0 / xfs inode64,logbsize=262144 0 1
20 > /var/swapfile1 swap swap defaults 0 0
21 > /dev/system/var /var xfs defaults 0 0
22 > /dev/system/usr /usr xfs defaults 0 0
23 > /dev/system/home /home xfs defaults 0 0
24 > /dev/storage/photos /photos xfs users,rw 0 0
25 > /dev/storage/backups /backups xfs users,rw 0 0
26 > /dev/storage/offload /offload ntfs defaults 0 0
27 > /dev/storage/peter /peter xfs defaults 0 0
28 > /dev/storage/jeremiah /jeremiah xfs defaults 0 0
29 >
30 > And no "init thingy" anywhere on this LAN. ;)
33 Pretty much yea. I started making a init thing when they were talking
34 about not supporting /usr on a separate partition. Then about a month
35 ago eudev was announced which means we can boot with /usr on a separate
36 partition and no init thingy, like it used to be.
37
38 My basic question is this, has anyone started using eudev yet? From my
39 understanding it is basically udev with the files where they used to be
40 before they changed things. I'm thinking about switching but wondering
41 what all is involved. It appears to be as simple as unmerge udev and
42 emerge eudev and restart eudev. Is it really THAT simple?
43
44 Dale
45
49 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!