From: Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Fwd:How about the gentoo server or cluster in production environment?
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 11:45:01
1 The 21/02/14, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2
3 > Are you considering Bruce Schneier's advice as a stupid nonsense? In
4 > his "Applied cryptography" he recommended one of the ways to
5 > straighten a system: to use not so frequently used algorithms instead
6 > of selected standards because less frequently used algorithms has no
7 > better math but are less targeted, have less specialized hardware
8 > built to crack them and so on.
9
10 First, it is worth recalling he talks about algorithms used in
11 cryptography especially considering the context of the supposed power of
12 the NSA.
13
14 Second, he never talks about compilation USE FLAGS. His point is about
15 algorithms. Only that. Gentoo does not change algorithms in the (widely
16 spread) softwares supported by the distribution. And I'm not going to
17 talk about specialized hardware for cryptography that almost nobody here
18 will ever use.
19
20 > I never talked about a sense of security just because system has
21 > non-standard binaries. I talked about high variance which brings a
22 > _bit_ more security.
23
24 High variance applied to Gentoo or Debian IS non-sense. You won't get
25 high variance in any of the supported softwares they provide.
26
27 > Have you ever considered how systems became broken in the wild? The
28 > most common way (in numbers of hosts, not significance) are automated
29 > robots and botnets. They just scan the net, try to bruteforce any
30 > login service they found and try to apply any exploit appropriate
31 > from their database. If one have a widely used and improperly
32 > configured (or not timely updated) setup, it will be hacked this way.
33
34 <...>
35 > However I want to notice one critical security issue quite common for
36 > production servers: an old software. It doesn't matter how many
37 > protection layers system have, how skilled person configured it was.
38 > When software is old it is quite trivial to look up for CVEs and
39 > break the system. Quite practical encounter from my own experience: I
40 > was asked to legitimately obtain root on the box (admin forgot
41 > password, reboot (with init=/bin/bash) was not an option and root
42 > access was needed for reconfiguration); a box was a year old RHEL
43 > with SELinux enforced. Third kernel exploit worked perfectly (I just
44 > found them on the net, not bothered to code myself).
45
46 Agreed. That's why the efforts from distribution maintainers focus on
47 taking care to _not_ provide such softwares enabled this way by default.
48 A large security effort relies on the admins, first. Upstream have few
49 responsability in security non-sense coming from the users.
50
51 > . Such trivia with
52 > Gentoo and its custom binaries is not possible. And Gentoo is quite
53 > good with recent software updates (RH sometimes is too slow with
54 > critical kernel/libc issues).
55
56 Such security issue is not avoidable whatever it is Gentoo or not. Then,
57 the best point is to have a wide community to ensure better support and
58 surveillance on security issues in order to expect better support by the
59 community to offer _updates_.
60
61 > My point is that Gentoo
62 > provides native techniques to raise the attack cost. That's all.
63
64 And I'm afraid.
67 Nicolas Sebrecht