From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Font problems on new install
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 02:21:43
1 A new install 64-bit Dell. I noted all the font files in my old
2 machine's /var/lib/world file and installed them on the new machine.
3 Notwithstanding that I had mysterious problems. One of the icons on my
4 ICEWM toolbar launches the command...
5
6 xterm -bg black -fg cyan -geometry 80x58 -fn lucidasanstypewriter-12
7
8 I got error messages about not being able to find the font,
9 notwithstanding that I have both
10 media-fonts/font-bh-lucidatypewriter-100dpi and
11 media-fonts/font-bh-lucidatypewriter-75dpi installed. This had 3
12 unpleasant side-effects...
13
14 1) xterm went to a smallish default font that was rather hard to read
15
16 2) I figured no problem; I'll go {CTRL-RIGHTCLICK} and select a larger
17 font. However, as soon as I did that, the xterm shut down!
18
19 3) xfreecell wouldn't start due to a font-not-found error. Now it's
20 getting really serious.
21
22 After a bunch of futile screwing around including a reprise of my
23 http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-user@l.g.o/msg123858.html
24 I exited X and performed a "font transplant". I.e. I renamed
25 /usr/share/fonts and copied over the /usr/share/fonts directory from the
26 older machine. And it works beautifully. I've backed up the directory
27 to a tarball on USB stick, just in case. And I will be monitoring any
28 updates with an eagle eye.
29
30 Anyone have any ideas?
33 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
34 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications