From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any one with experience using getmail with postfix?
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 12:38:05
1 On 25/11/2022 11:56, William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 >     I am looking into replacing fetchmail with getmail on my mail
5 > gateway system
6
7 Are you using getmail, or getmail6?
8
9 https://pyropus.ca./software/getmail/documentation.html#python3
10
11 A quick "emerge --search getmail" shows that gentoo is distributing
12 getmail6 under getmail's name - they are two completely different
13 programs. I guess somebody should file a bug to get THAT fixed.
14
15 The tldr is that the maintainer of getmail has not migrated to Python3 -
16 time is hard to find. getmail6 is a fork where somebody has fed it
17 through 2to3 and not bugfixed it (properly). In other words, whether you
18 choose getmail or getmail6, you have a problem.
19
20 Made worse by the fact that many people - distros included! - don't
21 realise that getmail and getmail6 are completely different entities.
22
23 Cheers,
24 Wol