From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Installation on Dell Inspiron Laptop
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 12:55:58
1 Hi all,
2
3 I'm having a problem. I had Gentoo installed on my laptop. I hadn't
4 updated in in some time, so attempted to do that. I kept getting an
5 error message - something about glibc and compatibility. I couldn't
6 resolve it, so decided to start from scratch - no big problem, since I
7 like doing stuff like this.
8
9 So, I did a Stage 3 install, like I've done on this laptop twice before.
10 I used the same use flags in my make.conf as I always do. I got to the
11 point where I chroot'd and started the kernel compile. The compile
12 starts and then, the laptop shuts off on me. On initial start with the
13 Stage 3 install CD, I started using 'gentoo dopcmcia nolvm2 agpgart
14 acpi=on', but I also tried without the acpi=on parameter.
15
16 The very first time I installed Gentoo on the laptop, the laptop was
17 overheating on builds until I configured power management. However,
18 this was after the initial installation when I was actually booted into
19 my system. On the initial kernel compile in the chroot'd environment, I
20 had no problem on the first two installs.
21
22 In the situation that I am now describing, when the laptop shuts down on
23 the kernel build in the chroot'd environment, the laptop isn't any
24 hotter than when it is running normally.
25
26 I don't know if it makes any difference, but I did not use nptl or
27 nptlonly in my use flags, so I don't know if that has anything to do
28 with it. The kernel that I am trying to compile is the latest genkernel
29 that is in the stable tree.
30
31 Anyway, I hope this is understandable. Any ideas or suggestions?
32
33 Regards,
34
35 Colleen.